Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Stand-by for the 30's

A few years ago I stage-managed a semi-professional production of Scrooge: The Musical. For those of you who don't know, stage management involves many many things. One of these things is to call the lighting cues for the show. So, on this particular production, I was working with a fleet of younger guys (only younger by 2 years, max). I was rapidly approaching my 26th birthday and had expressed my concerns about getting older. Also, there were a slew of light cues that came one upon the other. So, in order to save time, I would call "stand by for the 30's". Well these guys thought it would be funny to make that the running joke about my age. "Kat is in standby for the 30's!"

Now, next month, I'm having my golden birthday. 29 years old on November 29th. Strange. This time next year I'll be 30. I still don't think of myself as old. Yesterday, while I was getting steroid shots and nebulizer treatments I was flipping through a copy of "Parenting" magazine. (Cut me some slack! It was all they had). Anyway, in this magazine was an ad for Care Bears. It said something along the lines of "Remember your first Care Bear?" Care Bears were an 80's creation! I had two Care Bears and a freaking Care Bears bedside lamp!

I was so taken-aback by that ad. Surely my age group isn't old enough to be parents?!?!? But alas, we are. Or they are. I, on the other hand, am way too young to be having babies.......let alone be teaching them about the ways of Care Bears!

So, I am in "stand-by for the 30's" and I'm alot closer now than I was then. But it's ok. I'm ok with it. However, I believe that age is purely a state-of-mind. I'm determined to be 24 forever. 24 was a good year.

No comments: